Success Stories of our Learners
Eager to obtain a job, Jacinta, a native of Nigeria, began attending ESL classes at Literacy of Northern New York several times a week last spring. She takes pride in setting up our audiovisual equipment for our ESL class and also helps the teacher pack up after class. After several months and over 125 hours of instruction, Jacinta went up an NRS level. Her ESL teacher helped her fill out online and paper job applications and after a few months of searching, Jacinta obtained a part-time job at Ponderosa. She recently moved out of her son’s home and obtained her own apartment. Jacinta enjoys giving back to the community by volunteering at the Urban Mission, which operates a thrift store for low-income families.
- Mireille improved her English speaking skills and had six job offers. She is currently working part-time.
- Almudena has improved her English speaking skills, taken several computer classes, volunteered to help us at events and with our Potsdam ESL class. Her next goal is to volunteer at the Canton/Potsdam Hospital. She also obtained her driver’s license.
- Rabia is volunteering at a food co-op and is studying to get her driver’s license.
- Annet helped Deborah staff several booths at events LNNY attended. She also volunteers at several organizations, including Hospice.
- Cynthia went up three grade levels in reading, learned how to focus more when taking a test and learned test-taking skills. Her goal is to get her high school equivalency diploma.
- Edith obtained a learner’s permit and has improved her English language skills. She obtained her driver’s license in Feb. 2016.
- Maricella is involved in her son’s pre-kindergarten program and takes pride in reading and understanding letters and notes from his teacher.
- Mariely went to her daughter’s parent-teacher conference and the teacher commented that she is speaking and understanding English better.
- Hassan went up two English levels and he got a full-time job as a researcher.
- Randy passed a math class at J.C.C., which he had failed previously.
- Nicole is studying for her driver’s permit, and has received help reading recipes and understanding notes from her children’s school.